The Ballinastoe mountain bike trails, near the town of Roundwood are located in the heart of the wild Wicklow Mountains, a scenic 45minute drive from Dublin City center. If you’re looking to experience top notch mountain biking in Dublin or a stone’s throw from the big smoke with some of the most iconic landscapes in the world, spectacular views over the Irish Sea & Lough Tay, a.k.a. The Guinness lake, you’ve come to the right spot.
This trail network is a looped route that starts and finishes in the same point. The trail accesses many types of terrain from open heather moor land on the top through thicket spruce and Scots Pine on the lower sections. If some of the views seem familiar you may well have seen them before! This area of County Wicklow is famous on the big screen as a location for some classics including Brave Heart, Excalibur, King Arthur and Into the West to name a few.
Ballinastoe is one of the original trail centres built in Ireland and due to some recent upgrades and the magnificent scenery remains a popular biking destination today. This trail is good for beginner, intermediate and advanced skill levels. If you’re looking for biking in Dublin or for something in closer proximity to Dublin then also check out our Belmont Bike Farm HQ and the Ticknock Mountain tour routes.
Distances from 8 to 18 Km
Google Map here
By Public Transport
- From Dublin City Center you need to take the Glendalough Bus, your stop is “Ballinastoe Cross Roads”.
- Depart: Dublin (Dawson Street) 11.30, arrive at Ballinastoe 12:30
- Return: Ballinastoe 16.50, arrive at Dublin 18.00
- Cost: €14 return (pay the bus driver)
By Taxi /Hire Car:
- By road it’s less than a 45 minute drive from Dublin City Centre
- Head South for Wexford on the N11 motorway take Exit 8 Kilmacanogue and head for Roundwood. After +/- 7km you will see a signs for the Sally Gap simply follow those signs & the above Google maps link.
- Taxi cost: +/- €40-€50 per person.
Book online now!